The future of the Wellington Linux Users Group

jamie.dobbs at paradise.net.nz jamie.dobbs at paradise.net.nz
Tue Aug 1 11:28:05 NZST 2000

Given the lack of response to my recent posting for ideas on what the
groups can present as topics for members I really have to wonder if
there is any point to the group continuing.

It was nice to see all those who came to the initial meeting but I
have to wonder what happened for us to only attract 3 people to the
second meeting.

This months meeting will take place as planned at 7:30pm on August 7
at the Johnsonville Community Centre. At this meeting I would like to
see as many people as possible so that we can make some firm plans
for the future on what we'd like to see and when we'd like to see it.

The numbers who attend this meeting will most liekyl determine the
future of the group in its current form as I can see no sense in
organising (and paying for) a venue when we don't really need it.
Maybe if numbers are going to be low we can look at having meetings
some other place.

Perhaps we can get Geoff Andrews to bring along some of the books he
has on Unix programming so that those interested can get some ideas
on whats available (sorry about the short notice Geoff, but if you
can bring them it would be appreciated).

These are just my thoughts and I hope that they will start some
discussion on the group. I do not mean to sound defeatist but I need
to know that the group is wanted by people in order to keep putting
in the time to organise these things.

Cheers

Jamie