[wellylug] CoyoteLinux setup

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at paradise.net.nz
Wed Oct 18 09:36:12 NZDT 2000

At 09:29 18/10/00 +1300, you wrote:
>Hi Jamie,
>
>It would appear that I am not as versed in PC networking as I thought. I
>can't confirm that I can ping each machine now. I think I was pinging
>myself, if you know what I mean.
>
>Q1: The Gateway address is in the TCP/IP properties ?

Yes - gateway address is in the TCP.IP Properties, you have in here the IP
address of the PC (eg. 192.168.0.2 - make sure its on the same subnet as
the Gateway box ie. if the gateway has an address on 192.168.10.1 (the
default suggested) then give the windows box an address in the same range
(192.168.0.[2..254], probably 192.168.10.2). The netmask (usually
255.255.255.0) and the gateway address are also found here. You will also
need to ensure that you have your ISPs DNS servers setup as well.

>Q2: Within TCP/IP properties I do or don't have to specifiy an IP address
>and Subnet mask.

See above :-)

>Q3: To ping the Win98 machine from the coyote box what address do I use?

The address that you specify in the TCP/IP properties on the Win98 PC

>Q4: Do I need file & Printer sharing as a service in my network components?

No, you should not use this if you can avoid it - its only needed for
file/print sharing between Windows boxes.

>Any help much appreciated.
>
>Cheers Geoff

Hope this helps.

Cheers