[wellylug] HTML e-mail confirmation

Richard Hector rhector at actrix.gen.nz
Mon Dec 3 15:09:07 NZDT 2001

Jeremy Naylor wrote:

> Oh, ok.
>
> I dunno - strange.
>
> Yeah - I'm using the web interface of Yahoo! Mail.
> I've got HTML e-mail turned off in my Eudora on my
> laptop.
>
>  --- Steve Withers <swithers at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> <HR>
> <tt>
[snip]

This is all very strange, and I think broken on the part of Yahoo's web
interface.

Jeremy's own mail is _not_ in HTML - only what is quoted from aonther
message, which wasn't in HTML either.

So it appears that Yahoo formats incoming mail in HTML for viewing on
line (fair enough), and then bungs the formatted version in a reply
without formatting the rest of it in HTML.

This means, as far as I can see, that everybody receiving this mail will
see HTML tags - no-one will get the benefit - except possibly web mail
interfaces, and maybe mailers that render HTML even without all the
proper MIME headers and stuff.

In other words it's broken.

Agreed?

Richard