[wellylug] ICQ & FTP firewall scripts

James Riley jamesjriley at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 09:35:49 NZDT 2001

Ok,
cool, so I have to worry about active and passive connections...

How about if I specified the IP addresses of the servers which require
an active connection?
I guess here I can set up a passive connection for any ftp connection
and then open up an active connection where required?

James

PS my firewall is defaulted to all closed...

--- Volker Kuhlmann <kuhlmav at elec.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote: > > oh? I've
never encountered that before.

> You just haven't come across a server which only does active
> transfers. You don't usually notice, unless you're in a place where
> active transfers are firewalled off (like I am in).
>
> > This might be a dumb question, but why would passive mode be a
> security
> > issue?
>
> Active is a security risk for the client, passive is a risk for the
> server
> (just the other way round). Believe me, there are servers which will
> simply close connection when you try to go passive. Notably,
> SourceForge
> (unless they have changed that now).
>
> Volker

> .-. Wellington