[wellylug] Linux mail programs like Mercury?

Stephen Judd sljudd at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 28 21:43:39 NZDT 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 20:26, Phil Daintree wrote:

> 1 more thing.
>
> Sendmail is the smtp transport, qpopper is the pop3 server and if you are
> fetching the group email from a POP3 box on an isp you will also need
> fetchmail. This is a small program to handle the fetching of IMAP or POP3
> mail box mail and convert it into an SMTP stream to be handled by sendmail.

I'd like to put in a word for postfix, which I found very easy to drive
and configure. It's an smtp daemon. It may not have all the capabilities
of evil hairy sendmail, but it's small and friendly and the config files
make sense to the casual observer. Some people swear by qmail and exim
too.

I see that Samsung has picked up support for HP's OpenMail, which can be
used as a drop-in replacement for Exchange.

Fetchmail is a joy for snagging mail from disparate locations into one
(or many) mailboxes, and well worth investigating.

As far as clients go, I'm using Evolution 0.99 very happily, and mutt
when I'm away and I want to ssh in.

Stephen

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!