[wellylug] Suggestion for Monday night

Donald Gordon don at dis.org.nz
Mon Aug 12 12:11:53 NZST 2002

On 12 Aug 2002 09:45:29 +1200
"Damon Lynch" <damon at dev-zone.org> wrote:

> Perhaps you could tell us then!  From what I gather the standard OOo
> comes with the un-patented freetype as part of the source code, one
> reason the fonts don't look so good under Linux.  With the bytecode
> interpreter turned on, true-type fonts look far better.

If you look at the debian patch to the freetype library, you will find somewhere:

+       # Apple's so-called patents are bogus, says me.
+       # Let's turn on the bytecode interpreter.
+       perl -pi -e 's/^#undef(?=\s+TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER)/#define/' \
+               $(freetype_u)/include/freetype/config/ftoption.h

So if you're running debian (and the debian OO package is linked with
the freetype shared library), it should be using the interpreter by default.

> So is it a matter of issuing one command from the command line to
> rebuild the source, using the system freetype, for Athlon or Pentium?
> If so, what is it? ;-)

Why do you need to rebuild it for your >386 processor?  X caches font
renderings (or so I have been lead to believe), thus the amount of CPU
time you would save by switching to such an "optimised" freetype library
is likely to be minimal.

don

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/Ey.GAA/0XFolB/TM