[wellylug] Filtering with Evolution, was re Best email client

Stephen Judd sljudd at paradise.net.nz
Sun Dec 15 10:48:33 NZDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-15 at 09:01, Steve Baker wrote:
> Stephen Judd said:
> > Yes. Very sure. So sure that I have my private Bayesian spam filter project
> > pointing directly at my Evolution-managed mbox files, using both Perl and Python
> > mbox modules. No problems.
> >

> Could you elaborate? I'm slowly building up my spam corpus but I'm not
> sure of the best way to integrate a Bayesian filter with Evolution.

I'm still getting the filter right so I haven't "plugged it in" yet.

But Plan A was to switch to using procmail, and get procmail to add an
extra header on the basis of what the filter returns - say
"X-Potential-Spam" - and then get Evolution to filter on that header.

Plan B, which I only just thought of, is to use Evolution 1.2's new
ability to filter based on the return value of a shell command.

Either way, a simple script that returns "SPAM" or "HAM" can be welded
in to do the job.

stephen

--
Stephen Judd <sljudd at paradise.net.nz>