[wellylug] Hardware / Mandrake

Steve Withers swithers at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jan 2 00:31:33 NZDT 2002

On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 10:32, you wrote:
> Hi there
>
> New on the list, sorry if these issues has already been raised..
> Does anybody know if the TEKRAM DC935 SCSI adapter is supported by
> Mandrake and if the mother board ABIT VP6 (dual CPU PIII) is
> supported as well.

Edouard

Found this exchange (included below) by searching in groups.goggle.com.
It is an exchange between a user of the Tekram DC395 (I think you
mis-typed it as 935) SCSI card and the person who maintains the driver
for that card.

As for the dual-cpu motherboard, Linux definitely supports SMP, though
you may have to either choose an SMP kernel during or after the
install. It may not be the default. Or compile the kernel yourself.
Sounds daunting, but it's actually fairly easy to do.

Steve

> Well, I think it should add to normal kernel and do not need to
> patch, Thanks

No, it shouldn't.
Drivers normally get added to the mainstream kernel if the driver is
stable enough and somebody acting as maintainer requests to have it
included. And, then of course, Linus / Alan / ... need to accept it.

I'm maintaining this driver, but in spite of lots of requests to add it
to the mainstream kernels, I refused to do so. The reason is that some
people (ca. 5%) using this driver are having serious problems, which I
have not been able to track down so far. In the worst case, you can end
up with data corruption. (I could reproduce and fix some of the
problems, but not the data corruption one.) As that's not funny, I do
not want the driver to be in the mainstream kernel.

?

> and where can I find the new version of this patch?

My version is on
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/

> I think mandrake was improved that driver, Thanks

I would be both amazed and pissed off if this would be the case.
Amazed because somebody was investing time to work on the driver and
potentially even fix problems.  Pissed off, because I think it's very
bad to fix problems and not submit  the patches back to the official
maintainers.

BTW, if somebody can provide a reasonable description of the chip
(TRM-S1040), the chances that I'd find the bug would increase a lot ...

Regards,

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/