[wellylug] home network / Host unreachable

Edouard Chalaron e.chalaron at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 3 11:54:30 NZDT 2002

Hi
Thanks all for your replies regarding hardware and Mandrake.

One question related to networking under RH:

got 2 Pc here (one is RH7.0 and the other RH7.1), a D-link De 816 TP in between.
Eth cards work Ok.
Pc1 has RH7.0 and the IP : 192.168.1.1 Nicknamed gascogne
Pc2 has Rh7.1 and the IP : 192.168.1.2 Nicknamed wairarapa

My trouble is that Pc1 and Pc2 do not talk to each other (host unreachable by
ping) in both directions.
Pc2 can not reach the external world trough Pc1 whilst conected to Paradise.

Pc1 has IPchaining (in /etc/ppp/ip-up.local) and is connecting to Paradise.
It seems to work fine as reported by ipchains -L input, output or forward...
Netcfg seems to be properly setup on both Pcs (following examples).
On Pc1 DNS is OK (again following examples), conversely, on Pc2 :

[root at wairarapa] host -a wairarapa
gives me a time out can not reach server and this despite a config cc to the one
on Pc1 (named, resolv etc...) with names and ips changed accordingly.

Doing named or network restart does not change anything.
I have not done anything on bindconf though....
I do suspect that troubles are coming from Pc2 but have no idea what to do next.

Any ideas on this matter (please) ?

Cheers
Edouard

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!