[wellylug] Problem with ssh & dns on multi-homed hosts

Richard Hector rhector at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Jan 12 23:32:43 NZDT 2002

Hi all,

I've been playing with 2 things recently.

Firstly, I've set up a 100 Mbit crossover cable between 2 hosts on my
network, in parallel with the 10 Mbit network used by everything else.
Neither of these 2 hosts routes, so the new network is only usable by
these 2.

Secondly, I've set up 2 (bind 9) DNS servers on my network - one on one
of the above hosts, the other on another box. I'm using a bogus TLD of
'fake', which shouldn't be a problem as no-one in the outside world
should be looking at my name servers. I've set up 2 views, so that hosts
only on the 10 Mbit net can only get addresses on that net.

It looks like this:

                 / To Internet
              /\/
             / (dynamic IP - dialup)
         --------                           ------------
         --------                           ------------
10 Mbit hub ------------------------------------------------
         -----------                  -----------
         -----------                  -----------
              | 192.168.20.10             | 192.168.20.40
100 Mbit   ------------------------------------

There are other machines as well; all are on the 10 Mbit hub, and
shouldn't be important.

The problem is, when I ssh from diamond to emerald, I use the 100 Mbit
network, and ssh refuses the connection. It claims that it is blocked by
/etc/hosts.deny (which has the one line "ALL: PARANOID") because
192.168.20.10 != diamond.fake.

Running dig on emerald, though returns both addresses for diamond.fake,
and returns diamond.fake for 192.168.20.10.

Can anybody suggest what I might be doing wrong?

I'm guessing I may have provided too much info in places, and maybe not
enough in others. I can naturally supply further info if necessary.

Thanks,

Richard

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!