[wellylug] a real beginner

Stephen Judd sljudd at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 22 20:53:01 NZDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 14:36, james hunt wrote:
<snip>
> I am now trying to get the sound to work. But neither
> of my books say how to install a driver, assuming I
> can find one. So you can see what i mean about
> absolute beginner, I have never installed a driver and
> have never seen a description of the process. Where do
> I learn about this sort of thing.

I hope this doesn't come too late - I was just tidying up my mailboxes
and came across it now.

Jim, drivers are usually compiled into a custom-built kernel, or
compiled separately as modules. Stock Debian kernels don't have sound
drivers compiled in, hence your problem!

I would recommend building a new kernel, which is kind of fun, and will
provide the opportunity to compile in support for whatever other
hardware you're planning on using.

Debian has its own way of doing this: you use the make-kpkg command to
build your own debian package with a custom kernel in.

If you're going to stick with Debian, have a poke around
www.debianplanet.org, and check out the Debian mailing list archive.

Give us a yell off-list if you need a hand.

Stephen the happy Debian user.

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Secure all your Web servers now - with a proven 5-part
strategy. The FREE Server Security Guide shows you how.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/uCuuSA/VdiDAA/yigFAA/0XFolB/TM

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/