[wellylug] samba vs. NFS && ogg encoding

Don Jones don.jones at linuxmail.org
Fri Jul 5 18:19:50 NZST 2002

1.can anyone recomend a good ogg encoder, a friend is bringing a CD round tomorrow and I want to grab some tracks

2. I want to mount my webservers file system on my local machine, Ive done this many times with samba but as I have no need for windows compatibility it seems strange to use samba - NFS seems the logical choice - can someone who has experience with both give me an idea of how easy NFS is to setup on the client and server? With samba i just add a share in smb.conf and mount it via /etc/fstab, is it similar in NFS?

Basically is it worth learning and setting up NFS or should I just stick with samba?

If anyone has any other alternatives for mounting network filesystems that are somehow better than the other 2 alternatives please let me know, Im happy to give an alternative a try.

Thanks

Don Jones