[wellylug] Mandrake install

Peter Jones PeterJ at indeserve.co.nz
Mon Sep 30 08:57:14 NZST 2002

Hello, attempting to install mandrake 8.2 on a PIII 750 (Celeron 1000 but
the board is 100FSB), 128meg. Video is on board Voodoo3.
The box is currently running Lycoris and detects all the hardware no
worries.
Booting off the Mandrake CD (even using th VGALO option) results in in a
screen full of stuff that  includes "to analyse the crash dump please type
gdb XF86_FBDev //core
where
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining
GtK warning **: cannot open display: :0 at /usr/bin/perl-install/my_gtk:pm
line 315

so I guess its something to do with the video.

As mentioned, Lycoris runs on this box fine, and so does Knoppix 3.1

does mandrake have issues with Voodoo3?
The exisitng Lycoris system is still on the disk, should I format first to
clear it out?

thanks
peter

Sell a Home with Ease!