[wellylug] April Meeting Notes

Klenner, Colin colin.klenner at eds.com
Tue Apr 15 12:42:30 NZST 2003

An interesting meeting last night. And a great crowd! I counted 40+ people
so it looks like the move to LAN Place was the right move (despite the
parking).

We had a discussion about the logo's proposed and have chosen one (with some
minor modifications). Subject to confirmation with the City Council and some
tidying up it will be posted on the web site, and used in promotional
material.

The Installfest at Victoria University will be held on 26th May (Saturday).
Donald Gordon [donald at mcs.vuw.ac.nz] is the organizer. This will focus on
the student population and Donald proposes using Debian. Advertising will be
mostly by announcements at lectures and word of mouth. Contact Donald if you
can help or for more information.

The Installfest at Lower Hutt will be held on Sunday 4th May from 9am to 1pm
at Silicon Systems Ltd premises. Colin Klenner [colink at clear.net.nz] is the
primary organizer. There will be public advertising - any helpers in this
area gratefully accepted. Silicon, as the main sponsor, have agreed to do
some printing for us and they are providing their build space and front
entrance. Dymocks are also supporting us with a display of books, and they
will mount a display in their shop window with our help. Silicon will also
take on-line registrations from the public.
Distributions will be Red Hat and Mandrake for full install's, Knoppix for
play, and SME for small business use.
Contact Colin if you can help or would like more information. Additional
information will be posted in the web site & forum.

We had a very interesting, fast-paced talk on setting and configuring
firewalls using iptables, and on gateway functions, purposes and setting up.
This was interactive with two projectors, a whiteboard, and hand out notes.
A full-on encounter with the dark side which was really impressive and
revealing, and helped make sense of the arcane options. Alex Weiss, a tutor
from Natcoll [alex.weiss at natcoll.ac.nz], made the whole presentation very
enjoyable. We look forward to additional presentations from Alex over time -
thanks!

Several people had brought along machines with Debian installs on them and
were asking advice so there was some lively discussion around these tables.
Hopefully the advice and assistance helped resolve the issues and questions.

Also there was a book for view which covers Mandrake v9.0 Essentials. The
book is available from the web at around $Us30 plus postage. A very good
book with practical examples covering the essentials.

Jamie had copies of Mandrake v9.1 for those that had asked for it - thank
you Jamie. This area of making distributions available should be respected
as we are asking people to use their bandwidth and cd-writers. Please
remember the standard fare is either 2 cd's for one burnt or for a payment
(usually between $10 & $15 per 3-cd set).

And finally we are now asking people for a gold-coin donation each night so
we can fund buying CD's and the like to better promote Linux to the
Wellington public.

A great night, thank you all those who could make it. The more the merrier!

Colin