[wellylug] Lug meeting before last

Tony Wills ajwills at paradise.net.nz
Sat Apr 26 23:44:23 NZST 2003

Well it wasn't me but I have two suggestions.

For a while Apple licensed power Mac technology to other vendors in an
effort to increase the Mac OS user base.  So Motorola and others produced
Mac clones, I've got a couple of the Motorola ones which also give you the
option of using PC screens and keyboards - I think they're 180MHz or 200MHz
PowerPCs.  You could probably rebuild that sort of thing into an ATX case.

Second possibility is that as there was a design fault with the screens on
the early iMacs (less than 350MHz?) that meant the screens died prematurely
(the iMac is an all-in-one beast with the cpu board built into the 'screen'
and it takes its power from there), a lot of people removed the cpu board
(plus hdd etc) and rewired it to an ATX power supply - go do a web search
for iMac and ATX and you'll probably find a few "how-to's".

Hope that helps.