[wellylug] 3D Open gl drivers for TNT2

Robin Hinde rjhinde at nzpcaws.computers.org.nz
Mon Aug 18 19:58:11 NZST 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:31, Jethro Carr wrote:
> I'm trying to program 3d open gl games & watch dvds on a linux desktop
> running red hat with a 32meg TNT2 video card. Unfortunately, everything
> is very slow & jerky.
>
> I've also tried to get my laptop's Prosavage video card working, but I
> read somewhere that there are no free 3D open gl drivers for it.

AFAIK, your laptop should be supported by XFree86 v4.1, but only if it has
more than 4MB of VRAM. My onboard ATI Savage Pro only has 4MB (which isn't
enough for 3D acceleration) so I installed a 64MB ATI Radeon 7500 PCI. What a
disaster that was.

It's fine now, but it was a *lot* of hassle getting a PCI ATI Radeon card
working with 3D acceleration. I learned a lot of stuff I really didn't want
to know :-)

cheers

 -=rjh=-