[wellylug] new to welly and already demanding

Jeremy Z Butler jeremybutler at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 21 14:01:27 NZST 2003

Hi all,
New to wellington and, after being a passive newbie in the DunLug (Dunedin), I
thought I should sign up here.

I know Luggers hate these kinds of questions but here goes: After splitting my
hard drive to accomodate win98 and RH 7.1 (the process went OK but then I had
plenty of help) a few years ago I'm keen to blow the cobwebs out and get things
like my winmodem working again etc etc by upgrading to RH 8.0. (my machine is a
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4310 laptop). Problem is I'm just not confident enough to
do it without a friendly techie eye on things as I have a lot of stuff I don't
want to lose, including MySQL databases, and no CD burner.

So, my question, will there be any kind of installfest or similar in the next
wee while or even a meeting where I can bring the box and installation CDs and
get some help with the process from a knowledgable sole? Anyone who does this
kind of thing on the weekend to keep in practice?

While I'm at it, having been out of the linux loop for a while, how have people
found RH 8.0?? is it the best to go with or is 7.2/3 safer and just as good.

Apologies for the long winded demanding post.

Cheers for any help,
Jeremy