[wellylug] Console prompt changing

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Sun Aug 24 18:34:34 NZST 2003

Usually the prompt is 'programmed' somewhere like /etc/profile,
/etc/bashrc, ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, ...

For example, I program mine thusly:

PS1="\[\e[34m\]\h:\[\e[36m\]`pwd`\[\e[37m\] $ "

This looks like (e.g):

blackbird:~/src $ grep blah

With 'blackbird:' in blue, ~ in cyan, and $ and the commandline in white.

Actually I do a bit more than this, by tidying up the working directory
with a nice little function that keeps it a manageable number of
characters long (to stop it wrapping around in my xterm and making it
hard to read - I prefer partial and full paths to just the last path
component).
E.g.

blackbird:~/..downloads/source/mozilla-1.4

(notice the '..')

But I dont want to confuse you so I'll leave that out unless anyone
asks for it.

Cheers,
David.