[wellylug] Wanted: Palmtop/handheld recommendations

Colin & Josephine Lewis cjlewis at amcom.co.nz
Tue Aug 26 22:56:52 NZST 2003

hi there Jamie,
	I am currently have a Palm M100, which is a very base model (only 2Mb
ram and mono screen) but even with this limitation I wonder how I ever
did without it.  It has completely taken over from my paper diary.  In
particular I have added QuickOffice onto it, which provides
wordprocesing, spreadsheet, and powerpoint, all of which hotsync with
their equivalent microsoft office equivalents (we run Microsoft Office
at work).  The calendar, tasks, and address book syncronize to Evolution
running under Mandrake 9.1 without any problems.  Quickword is based on
XML and so I can in fact open a Quickword document from my Palm in Linux
using Open Office.

I certainly find my Palm an invaluable extension to my desktop, but
would go for a higher spec'd model if I was starting again.  If you are
prepared to purchase on-line there are some good deals available through
ebay in the States.  I bought a folding keyboard for my Palm from there,
which has added a further whole new level of functionality to my Palm
computing again.

The range of software available for Palms is very extensive.  The Palm
website www.palm.com is a good place to begin to check out what is
available.  A good amount of it is public domain, or at least very
reasonable prices compared with say Windows products.

Colin Lewis