[wellylug] Hardware opinions

Jeremy Z Butler jeremybutler at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 28 16:29:31 NZST 2003

Hi all,
As a recent M$->RH Linux convert I have never actually had to look at buying
computer desktop hardware with the direct intention of installing linux (or at
least a split HDD with Linux in one partition). But here I am.

Through fairly good observation of LUG mailing lists over the months/years, I
realise there are often issues with device compatibility and general ease of
installation and setup with Linux. So I thought I'd do a broadsweep to gauge LUG
opinion and accumulated wisedom. I would be grateful if anybody could give some
general starting points on what brands/specs to look for and what to avoid.

Are all makers similar? (e.g. my Toshiba laptop has been pretty good. Are
Toshibas generally good or have I had good luck?)

Any particular features/specs/manufacturers I should hold at barge pole length.

Do any manufacturers use/make particularly compatible CPUs or internal modems or
CD-RW's or sound cards etc. which are easy to get going under Linux??

Any advice/comments would be gratefully received.
Best Regards,
Jeremy B.