[wellylug] Hardware opinions

Bret Comstock Waldow bwaldow at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 29 01:09:54 NZST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 02:31, Jethro Carr wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:29, Jeremy Z Butler wrote:
> > Are all makers similar? (e.g. my Toshiba laptop has been pretty good. Are
> > Toshibas generally good or have I had good luck?)
> >
> > Any particular features/specs/manufacturers I should hold at barge pole length.
> Do not touch HP - I've got one of their 3 year old desktops & it's
> horrible - it uses non standard components, & the power supply hums
> quite loud. It has as much upgradeability as a laptop.

I'll second this sort of thing as a cause for concern.  I haven't bought
a new desktop in several years, as I'm using laptops now mostly.

But in putting their proprietary touches on desktops, manufacturers
often put compatibility barriers into their systems, so that's something
to check for.  Compaq was notorious for this.

I've stuck with Taiwanese clone systems as they stick with standards.

Cheers,
Bret
--
bwaldow at alum dot mit dot edu