[wellylug] Compiled software...

Tim Nicholas tim at nicholas.net.nz
Tue Dec 9 16:19:08 NZDT 2003

Jethro Carr wrote:
> hi,
>

> if I compiled a kernel on another computer (ie: a celeron) with support
> for a celeron processor, would the kernel work on another system, like a
> duron?

I think that will probably depend on which type of Celeron it is...
Celerons have been based on Pentium 2, 3 and 4s. You would be safe (I
think) with a Pentium 2 kernel on a Duron, but probably not above that.
This might also depend on which kernel you are compiling. These things
are split up a lot more in 2.6.

> If not, how can I make a 'generic kernel' that will work on any machine?

To do that just pick an old type of processor when configuring the
kernel. An i386 kernel will work on any x86 box for example. Probably
better to compile it for a bog standard Pentium though. The resulting
kernel will still work on everything more advanced than a 486. The trade
off is that it will be slower for a lot of things than a more specificly
optimised kernel would be. It may or may not make a big difference for
you. Depends what you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Tim

--
Tim Nicholas                          ||                      Cilix
Email: tim at nicholas.net.nz            ||    Wellington, New Zealand