[wellylug] Newbie question :(

Tony Booth tbooth at infometrics.co.nz
Thu Feb 13 19:16:00 NZDT 2003

<snip>

> What does "Add /usr/local/kde/bin to your PATH" mean I should do?
> How do I get it to show up somewhere in the 'K' (start
> applications) menu in
> the KDE desktop?

If you type this in a terminal:

echo $PATH

you will see what they mean by PATH.  It is the set of directories that are
automatically searched when you type in a command (e.g. ls is usually in the
/bin directory, so /bin needs to be in your path to run it).

Adding to your path for the duration of the current session is as simple as:

export PATH = $PATH:/usr/local/kde/bin

To add it permanently, you will need to edit your .bash_profile or .bashrc
files (in your home directory).  Look for the existing PATH entry and add
/usr/local/kde/bin.

I hope that made sense to you.

Cheers
Tony