OT: Re: [wellylug] Lindows elease Linux notebook

Andrew Presant zrx1100 at paradise.net.nz
Fri Feb 21 21:52:12 NZDT 2003

On, or about 21/2/03 7:47 PM, "Chris Harris" may have said:

>> I have tried to find out about the processor (as they only compare
>> Mhz instead of Gigaflops), no success. VIA's site gives no clues as to
>> _processing power_ as opposed to _processor speed_. All it refers to
>> is x86. Is that 386  or 686 we're talking? :)
>
> A VIA C3 would be my guess snipped from
> http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/c3E.jsp :
>
> Functionally compatible with the standard CPGA version of the VIA C3T
> processor, the VIA C3T E-Series is available at speeds of up to 933MHz -
> allowing system designers to deliver cool levels of performance while
> continuing to leverage the unrivaled flexibility and software compatibility
> of the industry standard x86 architecture. The processor also comes with up
> to 192KB integrated Level 1 and Level 2 full speed cache, as well as support
> for 100/133MHz Front Side Bus, and MMXT and 3DNow!T to further boost system
> responsiveness

Yeah, I found that too. But that statement is like saying 'brighter whites'.
Brighter than what? A 2Ghz Intel processes the same amount (roughly) as a
1Ghz PPC chip due to pipeline length and other internal design factors.

So, back to the original statement/question: What is the _processing power_
of this chip (the VIA C3)?

zrx1100 at paradise.net.nz
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/zx6rs/

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!