[wellylug] Linux on Small Form Factor PC's

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Feb 22 17:14:23 NZDT 2003

As a followup on the Lindows laptop and it's discussion of smaller boxes, I
figure this may be of interest.

The following are Small Form Factor systems I've sold/used running Linux. They
are readily available locally (through me & others :-). Info available at the
FIC & Shuttle sites or at www.dove.co.nz (the NZ importer/distributer) Plenty
of reviews on the net of both, pretty favourable generally.

FIC Falcon CR51 ITX Mini PC
SN41G2 Shuttle Mini PC

I've used Linux on both these. The FIC Falcon is a VIA 933Mhz cpu running
Gentoo. Everything auto detected fine & installed. PL133 VIA chipset with
Savage graphics & VIA Rhine NIC chipset. With 512Mb PC133 SDRAM compilations
are OK even with the sluggish cpu. Very low power requirements, low heat
dissipation & solid chassis.

The Shuttle is the oppposite. Lightweight aluminium chassis, lots of heat
generated & one of the most innovative cooling systems around. I've sold both
P4 & Athlon versions & like the Athlon one :-) Great specs. nForce2 chipset,
with the nVidia drivers installed under Mandrake 9. A few hassles setting it up
properly, but with an XP2600 cpu, 60Gb HDD, 1Gb DUAL port PC2700 DDR memory &
dual on board GeForce4 MX graphics it is great. Most playable Tuxracer I've
seen with integrated graphics & non of the IDE hassles with Intel 845 chipsets
under Linux.

For a high end box, the Shuttle is hard to beat, for a low end, the Falcon goes
well. Neither much use if you need lots of internal peripherals, otherwise very
tidy solutions.

If anyone is interested I should be able to bring at least one of them along in
March???

Cheers

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/FpY02D/vN2EAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM