[wellylug] hostname

Rose McGillicuddy rmcgillicuddy at xtra.co.nz
Sun Feb 23 19:10:10 NZDT 2003

Damon Lynch wrote:

>On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 17:26, Rose McGillicuddy wrote:
>

>>I am wondering whether to persist or not.
>>

>Don't give up quite yet!  There is no need to install another distro
>instead of a current one for a small change like that :-)  Brent's
>instructions are good.
>
>BTW if you make this the only line of your /etc/hosts file, which you
>can only edit while logged in as root, you should be set:
>
>127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
>
>to modify this, I suggest you login as a normal user, then open a
>terminal, type su and then hit enter, type your password (and hit
>enter), then enter gedit /etc/hosts (with enter), replace whatever is in
>there with the above line, save the file.  Next time you reboot you'll
>be fine.
>
>Tell us how you get on.
>
>Damon

Okay thanks guys.

I did the above.  After I typed the 'gedit' bit I got the following
message"GnomeUI_Warning  While connecting to session manager could not
open network socket'.

It did go nto a new window however called gedit and with the line 127
etc correctly displayed, and I duly saved and reboted.  Unfortunately
came up with usual login window welcome and message.
Tried to do the same in KDE but it told me this "Could not read network
connection list.
/home/rose/.DCOPserver_http://www.xtra.co.nz_0
Please check that the"dcopserver' program is running".

Tried logging on again in KDE but just returns with same message and to
login window.

Thought I would be a devil and logged in 'failsafe'.
Did the usual with su and gedit.  A new window came up, untitled but
with correct local host line.  Attempted to save it and couldn't.  Tried
' save as', it asked if I wanted to replace existing file.  I didn't
know!  So I logged out.

The other thing I meant to mention is that Mandrake does not log out
correctly.  I click 'logout' and the menu with icons disappears from the
top, but then it stops at the desktop with a few desktop icons, home,
trash, floppy etc.  Ctr Alt Del does not work so I have to shut down
brutally at the box which I am not keen about.

The options the bootloader gives me are
linux
linux-nonfb
windows failsafe

Would linux-nonfb be the old 2Gb hard drive, and if I installed Redhat
to that, would it then boot from that dialogue?
Thanks
Rose

So - getting nowhere!

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!