[wellylug] Linux sound -- opinions needed ... please.

Nigel Walters lizh at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 27 03:00:21 NZDT 2003

Jonathan Thanks for the reply.

> > What do you want to use them for? Specifically, are you just playing mp3s or
> > are you doing audio editing, video work etc?

I am interested in playing any (& every) game with sound. I also record
my old lp's to CD-R (and at the moment get a poor quality result).

My main problem at the moment is that when I play a game with sound (but
not an arts client) there is a point around the time arts unloads itself
that a crash is caused freezing the whole machine. Either side of this
period the game will run either with or without sound depending on the
state of arts.

I want to solve the sound problem to work under both main distributions
and to know that the sound server is under active development to
future-proof it.

> > Arts is fine for general use, but if you want to do any professional audio
> > work, you'll need a proper low-latency server like jack, which runs on alsa.

I have not heard of jack before this looks good for its purpose.. but
how good is it at handling non-jack clients (is there a jacckdsp ? etc)
and other more general use.

Nigel

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 16:32, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 Feb 2003 3:46 pm, Nigel Walters wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > First off I don't have any problems actually getting things to work. I am
> > just not sure which is the best of a number of choices.
> >
> > Firstly at the kernel level there is the choice between OSS and ALSA. At
> > the moment I am using OSS stuff and will switch to ALSA when I get round to
> > it.
> >
> > Next the choice of sound servers
>
> What do you want to use them for? Specifically, are you just playing mp3s or
> are you doing audio editing, video work etc?
>
> Arts is fine for general use, but if you want to do any professional audio
> work, you'll need a proper low-latency server like jack, which runs on alsa.

>   .-.   Wellington
>   /V\   Linux
>  // \\  Users
> /(   )\ Group