[wellylug] SSH Tunnels

Tony Booth tbooth at infometrics.co.nz
Fri Jan 10 15:00:32 NZDT 2003

I believe VNC can be sent via SSH, but haven't tried.  There might be
another way you can get the desired result -- here's what I do at home using
a Windows PC:

1) Install cygwin, including X packages and ssh. (not necessary from a Linux
box).
2) Within a cygwin bash session: startx & (from within your normal bash
shell on Linux).
3) Within the x session, in a terminal: ssh -X username at sub.domain.tld &
4) Now you have 'ssh'ed to the gateway, do the same again to the internal
box: ssh -X username at internalsub.internaldom.  (I haven't done a second ssh
in this way using X, but I have with a text console and it works fine).
5) Run X apps to your heart's content.

The really cool thing: X doesn't even need to be installed on the
destination machines -- only the X apps you plan to use.  The X libraries on
your home machine will be used to run the X apps.

A couple of gotchas:

1) You will need to enable X-forwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the
destination boxes.  Grep X11Forwarding in that file to see if it is set to
'yes' or 'no'.
2) I have struck font problems with Abiword and sound problems with a movie
player (though in the latter case might have been due to no sound drivers on
the destination machine).

Hope that helps a little.

Tony

Turn flat surfaces into speakers with the Soundbug.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWAVSC/onCFAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/