[wellylug] Digest Number 426

Michael Field hamster_nz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 16:42:18 NZDT 2003

Hi,

RHAS - You have to buy it - about $2,000 +GST RRP.

I've installed it a couple of times. What is special
about it is that it is a 'stable' distribution. If you
are the vendor of a large package (SAP/Oracle), you
make it run on RHAS and know that nobody is about to
switch libraries on you.

It's not essential for running things like Oracle, but
it sure as hell makes the installation easier. For
example Oracle 9i installs out the box on RHAS, but
requires "make" file changes to link properly on
RedHat 7.3 or 8.0 - it took a day of frigging around
to get it to work.

Oh, and as software vendors qualify their software for
support on RHAS, you get much better support from them
should it break.

It is supposed to have  a few nice features like
clustering built in to the distro, but I've never
played with them.

Mike

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

        http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/