[wellylug] Anti-Spam

Donald Gordon don at dis.org.nz
Tue Jul 29 20:49:38 NZST 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:46:44 +1000 Persian <persian13 at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> hello,
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 05:14:32PM +1200, Jethro Carr wrote:
> > What's a really good spam blocker for linux?
> >
> > I use Evolution to check my mail.
> >

> I never ever get spam, I am almost jealous, have
> just about forgotten what it is. Why dont I get any?
> I use mutt.
>
> My DH gets lots of spam at his hotmail a/c but I never ever
> get any there either! He can't believe it, LOL.
>
> Dont know why I am spamless :)

Probably a combination of

* difficult to guess email address (i.e. won't succumb to a dictionary
  attack on your ISP's mail server)
* not posting to usenet with your real email address
* not having your email address on the web anywhere
* not giving your email address to a dot-com which then went bust and
  sold their subscriber lists

As someone to whom none of the above applies to, I get quite a bit of spam.

donald