[wellylug] Saving line-in input to mp3

Robin Hinde rjhinde at mail.computers.org.nz
Sat Jun 7 20:46:18 NZST 2003

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 12:04, Rob Stockley wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 11:51, Richard Hector wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 11:04:41AM +1200, Jethro Carr wrote:
> > > I want to record music from a tape, which is plugged into the
> > > microphone socket, to mp3.
> > > What good programs are there, which can do this?
> >
> > audacity has quite a good reputation, I think. I haven't done enough
> > testing to do it justice, as I've never been happy with the rest of my
> > sound setup.
> >
> > Richard
>
> IMHO to record live to mp3 you need either a very fast cpu or hardware
> dedicated to the task. In the past I've used the console 'record'
> utility to capture the audio as a .wav file then used 'bladeenc' to
> encode it to .mp3. HTH

I do this a *lot*.

I use an old stereo amp for input and output, an early article I wrote about
this is at http://www.computers.org.nz/megabyte/2000/12/art04.html. You
probably won't get good results using the mic. input, line-in is better if
available.

A post of mine to nz.comp earlier this year is below. I've been using this
method for a couple of years, and it works well for me.

As far as hardware is concerned, you don't need much at all, I can record at
reasonable quality using about 90% of one PII333 cpu, but I do have another
spare; also using scsi which may make a difference, although I can just as
easily record direct to a file server so hdd I/O probably doesn't matter. If
you only have tape quality to start with, there is no point using high mp3
bitrates, so even old hardware should be usable.

H*T*H :-)

Re: recording wav sounds in linux