[wellylug] install gimpp

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Fri Mar 28 09:20:29 NZST 2003

On Monday 31 Mar 2003 9:25 am, Rose McGillicuddy wrote:
> Okay thanks.  I tried that and got this:
> >> [rose at funtime rose]$ cd /home/rose/Downloads
> >> [rose at funtime Downloads]$ tar xzvf gimp-print-4.2.5.tar.gz
> >> tar (child): gimp-print-4.2.5.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or
> >> directory
> >> tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> >> tar: Child returned status 2
> >> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> >> [rose at funtime Downloads]$
>
> The file is in /home/rose/Downloads I can see it in Konqueror.  Am I
> in the wrong directory perhaps?
> Thanks
> Rose

When you double click the .tar.gz file in Konqueror, it should let you
navigate inside the tar (it treats it as if it were a folder on the
disk). Does this happen?

Also, when you're in Downloads at the command prompt, do you know about
using the tab key to auto-complete the file name for you? so if you
type the first few letters of a filename eg.

tar -zxvf gimp-p

and press tab, it will fill in the rest for you. This has got to be one
of the coolest things about command line Linux (or at least bash) - it
saves a whole bunch of typing and can even make the bash prompt (dare I
say it) user friendly!

If you're still getting errors, it's probably because the download
didn't finish properly and you have an incomplete file.

Cheers,
Jon

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM