[wellylug] Chmod settings for web directory?

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Thu May 1 10:45:47 NZST 2003

On Thursday, 01 May 2003 10:26, zrx1100 wrote:
> Can some tell me the exact shell command to set an entire directory
> so it is viewable in a web browser? I normally do this GUI.
>
> Cheers
> Andrew

It isn't very clear what you mean.

If you want the apache server to be able to read the contents of the
directory, and your apache user is www, you could go

chown www:www directory
chmod 550 directory

But you may need to set up a <Directory> section in your httpd.conf
file. Also, if you want people to be able to write to the directory,
you may need to add them to a webmaster group, and go

chgrp webmaster directory
chmod 775 directory

then www can read the directory.

--
Jonathan Harker
MUSAC

O Lord, grant that we may always be right, for Thou knowest we will
never change our minds.