[wellylug] Computers Overheating?

Jethro Carr dodocaptain at paradise.net.nz
Sat Nov 29 18:00:14 NZDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 14:11, Lindsay Hunter wrote:
> Overheating and compenentsburning out are two different things perhaps.
> Can you mb monitor voltages as well as temps?
Yes. The voltages are all in the correct range.

>   Is the external supply
> reliable. Voltage surges might be large enough to cause these syptoms?
> Which components have 'burnt?'

I have a good power supply, and a surge protector connected.

According to the shop, the motherboard, and the CPU have been burned
out. They also replaced the ram, and the power supply, on the 6th time
it went to the repair shop.

I ran it with out the side panel for about 2 hours, with no problems.
I've got a case fan that I need to install, which may fix the problem.

I think that the cpu, and motherboard, are getting cooled, but the hot
air is getting trapped inside the case, due to bad ventilation, and
causing an overheat...

I'll see how the new fan works...

--
-- Jethro