[wellylug] looking for a lazy cd-backup solution

Ewen McNeill wellylug at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Tue Sep 2 21:55:28 NZST 2003

In message <Pine.LNX.4.31.0309021820460.385-100000 at peresvet.sixpack.homeip.net>,
 Ilia Pavlenko writes:
>no, I want readable cdr's :) not a cdr containing one huge 640mb tgz file
>(which will require a heaps of room if I need to pull out 1 file only !)

tar -tzvf /dev/scd0 | less
tar -xzvf /dev/scd0 path/to/file/in/tar/file/you/want

assuming you just burn the tar.gz file straight onto the CD -- who
needs file systems anyway :-)

I suspect most modern machines, given decent buffers to the CD writer,
should be able to pull files in fast enough to keep the burner burner
busy -- might want to burn on a lower speed than the max the drive will
do though.  So you could avoid temporary files completely.

One project I worked on did pretty much exactly that for daily backups
for something like 6 months.  The stash of CDs from the backups was
impressive, but they figured it was easily worth the $1/CDR for the
peace of mind.

Ewen