[wellylug] Testing hard disks

Volker Kuhlmann hidden at paradise.net.nz
Thu Sep 18 09:21:32 NZST 2003

> I have had these errors in the past.  If I remember correctly I was
> using the wrong ide cable for the drive.

I only use 80pin cables, except for cdroms. Even for dvdroms I use
80pin, 8 bucks so what.

Been running more of fsck, cp -a, and find/cmp, and last night and this
morning it's absolutely fine again. Gee I hate that - buying a new disk
isn't necessarily going to fix it then. :(

Back to the topic of badblocks, it's probably an ok tool for checking
whether a disk is ok, but it's not so good for obtaining bad blocks
lists because it's too painfully slow.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.