[wellylug] Installfest Planning

Sam sam at plaz.net.nz
Sun Sep 21 12:20:26 NZST 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Rob Giltrap wrote:

> I see nothing morally wrong in providing goods and services to consumers at a
> price they are willing to pay in an free & open market.
>
> RedHat have just turned a nice profit this quarter out of doing just that.

Red Hat have never obfuscated the fact that they have a free version af
their distribution.  The fact that there is *no metion whatsoever* af a
dawnloadable version of Lycoris on lycoris.com speaks volumes about their
goals as an organisation.

Sure, Red Hat have a commercial-only distribution, Red Hat Enterprise
Linux.  But they've put a lot more work into that than a couple of desktop
backgrounds and some icons.

Also, Red Hat put a huge amount of work back into the free software
community before they went commercial, and they continue to now.  Some
examples:

- Training and certification
- Cygwin
- Contributions to eCos (an open source embedded realtime OS)

I think you'd be challenged to name one major thing Lycoris has done to
benefit the Open Source community as a whole.