[wellylug] Ruminations

Phillip Hutchings sitharus at sitharus.com
Wed Apr 14 11:30:51 NZST 2004

> Gentoo has the same approach as LindowsOS and Xandros with respect to
> Win4Lin (a non-free program), in that it includes default support for
> it
> in its kernels: http://www.netraverse.com/kernel_policy.php.  Mandrake
> /
> Fedora / Debian / etc. do not do this.

Gentoo does not distribute kernels. Every user makes the choice
themself. It just so happens that the genkernel script to create a
generic kernel includes this support, but that's for user convenience.

Personally, I go for Gentoo. The packages are up to date, and emerge
works really well. Plus it feels faster when running on lower spec
hardware, such as the Via Eden CPUs.
--
Phillip Hutchings
me at sitharus.com