[wellylug] Fighting Software patents in europe + WellyLUG

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Thu Apr 15 16:26:54 NZST 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Jethro Carr wrote:
> The point of this mailing list and the lug is to discuss linux problems,
> questions, get together, and have a good time - NOT to argue about
> politics, and useless ideas like taking the website down. What good is
> that? It's only going to annoy us, and the other
> people who want to find out about the lug.

I agree with you about the main purpose of the list. I believe the
original idea to remove the website as an 'act of protest' was suggested
in good faith. If the idea is useless, why do so many webmasters believe
it's a good idea? Perhaps there's more to this than we realise? Is it not
worth discussing ways of supporting something we think is good? I don't
know how much you know about software patents, but if you want to keep
using open source software, then they eventually WILL affect you.

> We need something to kick people who abuse others and rules stating the
> lug does not support any political issues, etc.

I don't think anyone has abused anyone. And you're going to censor us now?
This list is part of the Internet. People have different opinions. Learn
to live with it. You might not want to discuss the political aspects of
Linux but understand that there ARE political aspects of Linux and they
are as relevant as the location of your config files and when/where/how
somebody learned to drive...

> I enjoy comming to the lug, to discuss Linux, and my probems, but like
> Jamie, I'm getting annoyed at this junk.

Delete it then. You don't have to read it. I find it quite easy to tell
which posts are technically oriented and which are political. It's nice to
have the balance.

Stop taking this all so personally. It's the Internet, dude...

Regards,
David.