[wellylug] Fighting Software patents in europe + WellyLUG

Jethro Carr dodocaptain at paradise.net.nz
Fri Apr 16 07:37:34 NZST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 07:14, Cesare D'Amico wrote:
> Alle 06:12, giovedì 15 aprile 2004, Jethro Carr ha scritto:
> > The point of this mailing list and the lug is to discuss linux
> > problems, questions, get together, and have a good time - NOT to
> > argue about politics, and useless ideas like taking the website down.
>
> What will you do in three years, if you won't be able to *use* and *have
> fun* with linux, because it is considered illegal? If you won't even be
> able to have problems with it?
>
> I'm a PHP developer and linux sysadmin and I know little or nothing
> about Windows, so you'll understand that I'm concerned about software
> patents in my country. I plan to come and live in NZ one day in the
> future, so I'm concerned about sw patents also in YOUR country :)
> I'm a pragmatic guy, I don't really like politics (you should see how
> politicians "work" here in Italy to understand my feelings about that
> matter), but I think everyone using open source software for solving
> its everyday problems should feel the same.
>
> What good is that? It's only going to annoy us, and the other
> > people who want to find out about the lug.
>
> You don't need to shut the site down. You don't even need to change
> completely the home page. You can add a simple, well-marked rectangle
> containing a brief presentation of the problem and a link to a more
> thorough explanation; all of that *if* you think that it would be
> useful, which is not necessarily the case. ("you" intended as
> "someone")

Fair enough. You have valid points. I admit I got a bit angry, at the
posts, as I think some were getting a bit nasty with some of the
microsoft comments to Jamie. (and no, I do not support microsoft).

Appoliges all.

I don't mind political disscussion, as long as it doesn't get nasty, and
stays relevent (to linux).

I consider this to be an issue, like many others. The idea solution is
not to have software patents, but if not, make licences like the GPL
take first preference. Comments?

--
-- Jethro

dodocaptain at paradise.net.nz