[wellylug] Database application using OpenOffice?

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Apr 17 08:37:02 NZST 2004

IMHO that is the real hole in non-windows RDBMS software. MS Access makes it so
easy to develop db apps/gui's, & there are 4GLs & GUI builders for most
commercial RDBMS. Paradox, Foxbase, R:base, even DB III.IV had tools to make
applications which are better than most OS offerings today.

> Has anyone heard of/have any experience with developing a database
> application using mysql and openoffice (ala MS Access)?

The following links might be useful:

Free Java based app development toolkit, works via jdbc:
http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/index.html

Have a look here, there is lots of stuff...
http://knowledgestorm.techtarget.com/searchstorage/search/topsearches/20

Rekall was announced as "the Access for Linux" but seems to have faded
somewhat. Supports Posgres & MySQL natively. Files available from:
http://www.smga3000.com/thekompany/RekallDemo/

> I know OOo can talk to mysql via ODBC and in oowriter/oocalc there are basic
> form functions. But is it possible to development an application out if these
> components?
>
> I really don't want to go back to the MS Access route if possible.

Please post your results? I'd be interested in any success you have with a
suitable front end to Postgres.

Brent Wood