[wellylug] Signal to Noise ratios

Tony Wills ajwills at paradise.net.nz
Mon Apr 19 10:39:22 NZST 2004

At 09:44 19/04/04 +1200, you wrote:
>Jamie Baddeley wrote:
>>Personally, I tend to quote before. That's my preference.
>
>It's usually regarded poor form to quote before, especially among techies
>and net-vets. A bit like using a dessertspoon spoon for gravy during
>mains, or licking the plate afterwards.

It's already been pointed out that the term 'quote before' is probably the
opposite to what you mean.  I think you mean that replying before the quote
is 'poor form', not quoting before the reply (which is the form you used
for your reply).

It's worth noting that with most news reader programs (for usenet) there is
a preview panel which shows the first few lines of the posting (a bit like
outlook) which is very convenient when people put their reply first (as you
can see it immediately) and the quote afterwards.

So as I said this topic is 100% noise and not really very useful ... why on
earth have I been tempted to reply and contribute to the noise ... probably
because I like licking plates afterwards, have you ever tried licking the
plate 'before'? ;-)