[wellylug] DSE & Linux

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Tue Apr 20 16:44:10 NZST 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> Otherwise I agree with you - it would be better if they used well known,
> Linux-friendly hardware.

I'm not disagreeing, but I wonder if it's worth mentioning that the
difference between a Linux 2.4 driver and it's theoretical 'equivalent'
(should one exist) in Linux 2.6 is actually significant. 2.4 drivers
simply will not work with 2.6 without porting them to the new driver
system. There's no point trying to get a 2.4 driver working with a 2.6
kernel unless you have access to the source and lots of time for doing
the port yourself.

You all probably knew this, but just in case you didn't, any new
distributions that come with a 2.6 kernel are going to have far more
issues when it comes to 'hardware friendliness' than 2.4 does at present.

--
David