[wellylug] Cisco VPN & 2.6 Kernel - warning!!

Rob Giltrap rob at ubietygroup.com
Wed Apr 28 12:46:25 NZST 2004

Achim Dreyer wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Rob Giltrap wrote:
>

>>FYI,
>>
>>I recently moved to Fedora Core 2 Test 2 (Kernel 2.6.3) which caused me
>>great frustration as the Cisco 3000 VPN client stopped working (it is
>>broken from kernel 2.6.2).
>>Cisco have since fixed the problem with version 4.0.4 of their vpn
>>client software.
>>
>>So my warning to you all is don't upgrade to a 2.6.2+ kernel if you use
>>Cisco VPN without first getting ver 4.0.4
>>

>Hy Rob,
>
>Where did you get ver 4.0.4 ?
>The latest version I can find is 4.0.3-B-k9
>

>According to http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/vpnclient-3des :
>
>vpnclient-linux-4.0.3.B-k9.tar.gz
>Linux VPN Client 4.0.3.B CLI Client 	4.0.3.B 	30-OCT-2003
>1326493 Bytes
>

>Regards,
>Achim Dreyer
>--
>A. Dreyer, Senior SysAdmin (UNIX&Network) / Internet Security Consultant

Caveats Resolved in Release 4.0.4

Release 4.0.4 resolves the following issues:

•CSCed72716

On a Linux machine running version 2.6.2 kernel or higher, the Cisco
Linux VPN Client 4.0.3(B) hangs when trying to connect.

It has only just been released (like in the last couple of days) so
maybe it is still in restricted release mode. I work with one of Cisco's
partners so maybe that's why it was available early.

I'm guessing it will be available for GA release soon.