[wellylug] Installfest / hardware guru's

JP jumbophut at yahoo.co.in
Fri Apr 30 10:21:43 NZST 2004

 --- andrej wrote:

> Just a brief question: I'm having some
> grief with a second-hand machine I bought
> several weeks ago. When it first arrived it
> was spitting the dummy when trying to install
> anything, always complaining about DMA errors.

Have you by chance upgraded your kernel?  The kernels
in Debian Sarge (2.4.>20 and 2.6) and possibly other
distros seem to enable DMA by default, which causes
problems on old hardware.  Recompiling the kernel with
DMA disabled can help.  Not sure if there is an option
you can pass to lilo to disable dma; if there is, that
is another possible solution.

> If I brought the box along, could someone give
> me a hand with fault-finding?

Yup.  (I presume you mean "to the installfest").

Tony