[wellylug] Games at Installfest?

Joseph joseph at paradise.net.nz
Fri Apr 30 22:12:33 NZST 2004

I recall a brief comment at the last WLUG that the installfest would
concentrate on getting a workable Linux install on machines.. But if
any1's interested I can bring along the latest WineX build from
Transgaming.com - in .rpm and .deb format, witht he Point2Play graphic
front end.

WineX is wine with a few extra bits for installer and gaming support -
including DX9 and other fun things.  Lacking decent 3D accelerated
hardware in my Linux box means i've never managed to explore the full
potential of the package - but according to the support pages - it'll
allow you to run a wide variety of Windows games out of the box... on
Linux. In my case it allows me to run practically all the 2D games i've
tried.. as well as a few non-games...
As an idea see the list of working and supported games:
http://www.transgaming.com/dogamesearch.php?order=working&showall=1
Things like Warcraft III, Diablo, Day of Defeat etc seem to work..

I, like a sucker, pay 3 euros a month for the joy of downloading recent
pre-packaged builds, and according to the license agreement
(http://www.transgaming.com/license.php) i'm quite allowed to
re-distribute.  I'll stick the current build in .deb and .rpm onna CD -
and bring it along.. if people wanna try continuing their gaming
experience in Linux.. it may be a good solution.

C ya there.

--
Jo 'Mangee' Booth

Did you miss it? See the playback (Driveway going in now)
http://webcam.mangee.net.nz/overview.html?p=100

MovieFest 2004 is coming! http://moviefest.org.nz
Make a movie - win a Canon DV camera!