[wellylug] Fax Servers and Why I choose WinFax

Michael Dittmer michael.dittmer at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 11 22:00:16 NZST 2004

Hi All...

After banging my head against the brick wall that is HylaFax and also
SambaFax plus a few others I won't mention, I gave up on trying to get a
Linux based fax server running.

And nobody tell me to RTFM, I did that, not that it helped.

My solution was to buy WinFax 10.0 Pro from Symantec.

If Linux is ever going to get accepted by the masses, it needs to have
proper GUI tools for doing admin jobs and setting up programs / services.

Yes, I know that purests will tell me to learn the CLI, but I don't have the
time or energy and they can go put that idea where the sun don't shine.

As an example, Apple MacOS 10.3 Server has full GUI tools for DNS, Apache,
SysAdmin and quite a few other things. Everything can be done point and
click. Linux needs to take a few ideas from Mac on ease of use.

Now if Apple would fully port MacOS X to x86, I would buy it, and so would
quite a few other people I know.

Enough Said

Michael