[wellylug] Broadband Router (was: Broadband)

Rob Giltrap rob at ubietygroup.com
Thu Aug 12 11:31:36 NZST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 10:31, Tony Wills wrote:
> At 07:40 12/08/04 +1200, Jethro wrote:
> >it looks like cable is the way to go. That's good, as I'm already on
> >paradise. (I don't have to change email addresses)
> >
> >I'm planning to use a router, with firewalling to link the cable modem
> >to my lan.
> >
> >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/411a761607a85a0a273fc0a87f9906b4/Product/View/XH1151
> >
> >Has anyone used this? It appears to be quite good (price, features -
> >firewall, dhcp server, print server), but I don't know how if the
> >printserver works for linux systems.
>
> Why buy?

Because some of us don't have the time, technical skill or inclination
to do the setup. I have a nice little Linksys using just a couple of
watts of power making no noise and lights that tell me that it is
feeling fine. If I'm away from home and my wife can't use the net I can
diagnose where the problem is by simply saying "What lights are on?".

When you do not require or desire flexibility then appliances like these
are perfect.

Having said that, thanks for the offer of the workshop. I for one would
certainly like to learn more as I may require additional flexibility
soon ;-)