[wellylug] Which A64 Linux for workstation/desktop

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Aug 24 08:23:08 NZST 2004

I'll be away for a few weeks, but plan on upgrading my Shuttle PC when I get
back.

I plan on getting the new nForce3 250 socket 939 model, with an A64 3500+ cpu &
2Gb memory. I'd like to get the dual Opteron Iwill, but can't justify the $$
for that beast....

(I can use it!! A nice global dataset I use comprises two files of almost 1G
each, can make things slow...)

Right now I'm tending towards Mandrake 64 as I've traditionally used Mandrake,
& like most things about it. All the 64bit Linux versions seem a bit buggy in
some areas, but the problems are at least well known.

Fedora, SUSE & Mandrake seem to be the mainstream A64 distros, I don't want to
play with Linux, I'd prefer to install & play with Linux applications, so I
don't want to go the Gentoo route. SUSE seems to be the main contender.

Right now I'd choose an nVidia graphics card to go with it. I've found their 32
bit Linux support works pretty well, better than ATi when I last tried ATi a
while back. Any comments on the most suitable graphics chipset for A64 also
appreciated.

I'll prob start with a normal UATA hard drive, & prob migrate to a Raptor
10,000rpm when the bank account rebuilds a bit.

So if anyone has any opinions/advice/suggestions about this, please let me
know.

Brent