[wellylug] Encrypted backup recovery

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 25 17:25:37 NZST 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Jethro Carr wrote:

> but I prefer it for it's smaller file size (often quite a bit smaller
> than gzip)

Yes, but it's important to realise this doesn't come for free. Bzip2 can
be several times slower than gzip to compress (quite fast to decompress
though, but so is gzip). There have been times where I really didn't want
to wait 2 hours when 30 minutes would do while compressing a big tarball.
That extra few hundred megs really wasn't worth the extra time.
Burrows-Wheeler sorts contexts, rather than searching like LZ77 which is
almost always faster. As usual, it's a trade off.

But for medium to long term storage, especially when compressing
unattended, I choose bzip2 too.

--
David.